Pages

Search This Blog

31 December 2013

Roubo book stand

Last night I went down to the workshop and made this copy of Andre Roubo's book stand.
I watched Roy Underhill on the PBS website to have a refresher course. I also watched a video by theinternetwoodworker.com . He made a stand and made the hinges at 45 degrees instead of the round hinges.
 

So I laid out my hinges and started the chisel way the waste. My first ever attempt to rip a board on edge , length was successful ( to my surprise ). I followed my lines from the marking gauge and sliced through the wood grain using my Japanese saw.

The real fun part was splitting the wood after ensuring the hinges were cut down enough.
With each tap of the wedges the hinge broke free and the sounds of wood cracking
were alarming. If the cuts were not done properly the book stand could break in the wrong place , ruining the previous evening's work.

Taking little baby steps the wood was successfully split along the hinge where I had cut to the layout lines.

Magnifique !

 

No comments:

Post a Comment